Patient Overseas Financial Aid Programme
Administered on behalf of the Bermuda Government, Ministry of Health and Family Services, the programme assists patients in financial need who must be sent overseas for medical and surgical treatments not available in Bermuda. The programme recognises that certain patients have little or no insurance and limited ability to pay. Our trained staff will work with the patient in order to find the right solution.
Interest-free loans to help cover:
For Health Insurance Department policy holders:
- For HIP policyholders: 40% co-pay on overseas medical treatment at approved hospitals
- For FutureCare policyholders: 25% co-pay on overseas medical treatment at approved hospitals
- 100% coverage of air ambulance transfers
- Additional overseas medical services not covered by HIP and Future Care.
Please refer to the Health Insurance Department’s 2021 Overseas Coverage Brochure for further details.
For Uninsured patients:
If you are unable to secure any insurance coverage prior to travel, our loan can cover 100% of all overseas medical costs.
Please note that our loans do not cover hotel, airfare, or daily expenses. We are unable to assist patients covered by major medical policies.
- Referral from the patient’s local specialist
- Approval from the LCCA Medical Committee & Ministry of Health and Seniors Medical Committee
- Patient Forms completed in full by two people willing and able to repay the loan
- Agreed monthly repayment terms that are within your personal budget
- A downpayment of (recommended) $500.00 (or $2000.00 for Air Ambulance transfers)
Our account number is HSBC 010-287209-002 – please specify who the funds are for and who they are coming from.
You may also pay your downpayments online.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or requests for special considerations.
Completed forms can be dropped off to our office or emailed to email@example.com
Our funding for this programme comes from:
- A Government Grant
- An interest-free Repayment Plan
- Insurance claims made on behalf of the patient
If you have to make a payment for medical services under our Overseas Financial Aid Programme, you may do so here.