The General Assistance Programme aids Bermudians both young and old who are referred on a confidential basis for support.
The LCCA assists Bermudians in need both financially and emotionally providing:
- We provide both BELCO and Grocery Vouchers to our clients [families and Seniors] in need throughout the year. Due to Covid 19 the numbers and amounts doubled.
- In collaboration with Lions Sight Committee we provide clients eye tests and glasses.
- We have funded and provided 11 Seniors with iHelp medical alert devices.
- We fund Seniors in four Rest Homes that are registered charities, [The Packwood Home, Westmeath, The Lorraine Rest Home, and Matilda Smith-Williams Rest Home] to cover incidentals including prescriptions, personal care items, podiatry, haircuts, and transportation costs to appointments.
- The Lady Swan Memorial Award provides $10,000 to the Reading Clinic, annually. Two students in financial need are beneficiaries of this program each year. We give this award in honour of our former Patron Lady Swan.
- The Seniors Dental Program has been established with the belief that there is an unmet need in the community for dental treatment of economically disadvantaged seniors, 65 and over, without dental insurance. We have had input from Age Concern and the Bermuda Dental Association and used the Colorado Dental Program as a model. We are now working with the Health Department Dental Clinic, private dental practices and the Rest Homes. This Programme is up and running and benefitting our Seniors.
- We provide funding for youngsters in financial need at Government Primary Schools selected by their Guidance Counselors to attend Summer Camp.
- We provide our clients with counseling and guidance in life skills and emotional support.
- Annually in September/October the LCCA hold a Tag Day [In 2020 it was Virtual] with a Round-Up at The Supermart and Somers Supermart. $31,000 was raised in 2020.
- We provide financial support for those in need on a case by case basis e.g. medical equipment [ oxygen concentrator, mobility scooter] through our General Assistance Program.
The LCCA ensures that a careful check has been made with other helping agencies on the island, including all Government Services, before proceeding with assistance. Each application is considered and granted on a case by case basis.
Our funding for this programme comes from:
- LCCA Investments
- Dues paid to the LCCA in lieu of union dues
- Funds paid to the LCCA in lieu of flowers for funerals
- Annual Tag day
- Annual Appeal to the Business Community
- General Donations